10.30.2011

Woodn't you know it?!

I've been wanting to finish the sign I mentioned here....
Yesterday was the perfect day... 


Here's a quick review of what the sign looked like before:

Before, before:


After, before:

I got out all of my supplies and made stencils...
I used Power Point, printed off the letters in card stock and then used a blade to "cut" them out.



I used a mixture of Ivory, Khaki and Cinnamon spray paint... I was going for an "aged" effect.


Then I did the same for our last name.
It's a kitchen sign to hang over my sink - I wanted something clever, but couldn't come up with anything other than "Ayala's" - boohoo.

I had to make one stencil out of many pieces of card stock.
Thank you Blue Painters Tape!



This is where I wish I could have just used vinyl - but I didn't think it would really stick. Plus my vinyl gal is in Montana... I'd have to wait.

I tried to create a shadow...


And this is what I ended up with.


Or should I say...

THIS is what I ended up with?!?!? - below.


The name wasn't working out for me. I though I could have a cream colored picture frame (sans glass) and somehow get the wording in there. I actually thought of a million other things to do...

Isabel was outside "helping" me with something and spilled blue paint on the bottom of the sign.
So I tried to act like it was on purpose and splashed some in other places.

After some heartache, I decided to just spray paint the entire thing, the three colors I had. However, I had already used a gloss over the "Est. 1994" so it stuck out some.

So, finally I decided to try one last thing. Right over the spray paint, not even waiting 30 minutes, I used Jacobean colored stain and applied and then wiped. I then put the "Est." stencil back on and sprayed over it in the cinnamon.

And there you have my completed sign. I may add something later... but for now, I love it.

Now I just have to figure out how I am going to get this sucker up on the wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)