11.08.2010

A weekend without plans

This past weekend was probably the first since we've been in the new house that we didn't have any plans, weren't committed to a get-together, and didn't have any real errands to run.

It was bliss. But, alas, it ended too soon.
In fact, the next several weekends will be jam packed with birthday and holiday stuff. Knowing that, we decided to enjoy a few days of just the kids and us.

Friday went something like this:


You know... Nic showing the entire neighborhood our TRUE COLORS.
I swear, he did it himself.
Ever since Lego Land, where the husband bought him a pirate hat, eye patch and sword, this kid has been obsessed.
I have a cute picture of him in this getup, complete with a mustache and pegged leg (again, his doing) that I will have to share. It's on the husband's phone - so it might be a day or two. But, it will be worth it.

Saturday, the husband and I did a quick Home Depot run. I wanted to purchase some paint for Nic's dresser that I am working on refinishing. It will hopefully look like a pirate's treasure chest when I am done with it. Hopefully.

While at the HD (yeah, we're close like that)... the husband and I browsed through the Christmas trees. I have celebrated Christmas my entire life (him, not so much)... but I have yet to have a Christmas tree in my OWN home. Since getting married, the husband, kids and I have always spent Christmas at my parent's house. The plan for this year to was to have Christmas here, at our new house. However, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to talk my better half into it. I guess, when you don't really celebrate holidays, it's one thing to go somewhere and celebrate it and another to do it in your own home.
We finally came to an agreement.

She's a 7.6 foot Wesley Pine.
Fake as all get out. But pre-lit and beautiful.

I am so freakin' excited. But, I have to tell you... I have not ONE single ornament to put on this sucker.
So, Nic and I will be taking my lunch break today and visiting the ever-so-wonderful Hobby Lobby.
I am sure there are a few [million] things we can use there.

The husband had to go back to work on Sunday, so the kids and I did stuff around the house. Things I have been trying to get done for a while. You know, things that involve a HAMMER and NAILS?!

In Isabel's room - after hanging some makeshift blinds, we realized the light purple actually is a little darker than we originally thought. It's staying - for now. I have no energy to paint and she likes it.
But, since I did by a quart of this really cool purple color [Purple Statice], I decided to dress up one of her walls.

Above her desk, we measured out a large square. We will add wood trim next weekend... And it's to be used for important things (awards, report cards, snapshots) that Isabel would like to have above her work area.






On one of the other walls, I've added a few Goodwill finds.
These hot air balloons were cream and black and had the words Paris, Milan, and London scripted on them. After some white spray paint, they add a pop. I am working Isabel to find the perfect saying or quote that we can add to that wall - floating between the balloons.  If you have any ideas - please feel free to share.
The vinyl lettering will be in black - to add some additional "color."  Beneath the balloons, will sit Isabel's dresser. I am still in the process of sanding it down and painting it white.



On the third wall, we've started Isabel's photo collection.
The shelf was another Goodwill find - and does a great job copying the lines/curves of the balloons.
I've added some really cute pictures of Isabel...
And empty frame (or two)...
and then there is the clock tower building thing. Another Goodwill find that Isabel wanted.
I don't know how it fits in, but she likes it. =)


There are a few more things we need to do for Isa - like bedding and pillows, but we've are off to a good start.

We also worked on Nic's room a bit.
I hung up the curtains (and curtain rod), some pictures, and the anchor (Hobby Lobby, 50% off!!).
The colors of the room were really decided on because of the curtains I've had for quite a while.


Here's the anchor up close. Love it.


I found this frame at Ross - took out the art work and added an old-world map that I mod-podged. I think it makes a great pirate map.


Again, a good start - but so much more to do.
We didn't get anything done in Alex's room this weekend - but we do have some plans.
He wants to create his own artwork using plywood and spray paint... so that will be an
 EVENT we have to plan for. Meaning, we will have to have a clean-up crew standing by!



3 comments:

  1. Everything looks great, You have done an amazing amount of work. I am so excited about Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love home depot. I may have mentioned before about that, but perhaps not.
    Love that your family has declared yourselves PIRATES for the entire neighborhood.


    I am in total shock that you don't have ONE single ornament. Really, SHOCK.
    But the fact that you are starting from scratch, that sounds like a big fun time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that "clock tower building thing" is Big Ben, ha ha ha. ;-) Love your style.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)