4.17.2011

One of my very own

I've wanted a photo wall for as long as I've wanted to own my own house. The only problem with open concept houses are that there aren't very many walls. So, I had to choose my photo wall very carefully - so that I would have plenty of space to put up quite a few photos. I have a ton of pictures that I would love to display - but I'd need a McMansion to display them all.

After careful consideration [and input from the momma and the husband], we decide to use the staircase wall in the entry way. We need to get a buffet table of sorts for the wall... but I didn't want to wait  - so I improvised.

You see the table - it might be a little shorter once we actually make the purchase, but that's okay. I added a lamp [for drama!] and then that 12x16 rectangle is a lovely frame - that just needs an equally lovely piece of mirror.


It took a few hours and several dozens of photos - but Isa and I finally settled on the few that would be showcased.  Isa helped to arrange them so that there was a balance  - no two types of frames would be right next to each other. Two of our frames (from IKEA) were large - and we didn't have any mats to go in. So - improvising again - I cut up some black and white striped scrapbook paper and added two pictures to it - then enclosed it in the frame. I think it looks like we did it on purpose. (:


Isa and I cut out papers in the size of the frames and taped them to wall to get a good idea of where we wanted to hang everything. I don't know much about decor, but I do know I don't like Swiss cheese.


We literally cheered after each picture was hung. Hanged? Never got that one.
Here is the final result. Well, semi-final.


We plan to add little things as we get them, like a pair of skeleton keys. A letter "A" (as depicted above). And I'd like to get a few more frames, maybe smaller... But it's a start.


Remember that frame that I mentioned - the one that needs a mirror? - well, here is the frame. The plan was to hang it just a little bit lower. Just after this picture was taken, I messed up and the frame fell - and shattered. Just my luck. lol...  Isa looked at me and said "At least we get a picture of it before it broke!"

So, I am now in the market for a new mirror to fit that space!! (:

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I dreamed about a photo wall before we moved in, too, and I keep fussing over it and moving things around. I was never quite as organized about it as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love that you actually laid it all out (even with the phantom lamp!) I never think to do this...that is why my walls look like swiss cheese; filled with holes!
    Congrats on getting it this far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally amazed at the preparation for this wall _ you have taught me a thing or two!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)