4.05.2012

five!


My child... my baby... the kid I waited so long to have, who arrived too early...is getting old. He is five. He has been five since December, but I think it has finally hit me.

With older kids in the home, I realize that there are times we treat Nic older than we should. We need more 1:1 playtime with the kiddo. He has such an imagination and such a personality.

I talked it over with my husband yesterday and decided that we needed a game plan, something that will allow us to spend some good, productive fun time with Nic before he starts Kindergarten in August.

I set about searching for fun, low-cost ideas. I have five thought up so far that I wanted to share.


One of my best girl friends, Stacey, will be taking her brood next week and asked if Nic and I wanted to join in on the fun. The last time we went to the Zoo was with Stacey and her much younger brood, almost FOUR years ago. I have pictures to prove it.

Nic loves animals... I cannot wait to see his face when he gets to see them all again!

Cost: Free (Stacey is a member and can bring guests!)

We have some mini-owls in the field adjacent to our sub-division. They actually create their boroughs out there, but come up to the road and stare at you as you drive by.  We are going to take Nic out and there and see if we can find any of them, take pictures and then come back home to try and identify them. In the process, we can learn more about owls.

Cost: Free














We totally owe Nic a trip to the Science Museum. It's been ages since we last went. We plan to take the light rail downtown and spend the day letting him play in all of the child friendly exhibits. To try and awaken the nerd in him! ;)  

Cost: Low
--> Did you know that Bank of America has a program called Museums on Us®?
It's a great program...if we are able to go this weekend, we could actually get in FREE!














What's more fun than a spontaneous picnic?
Of course, I will have it planned out - but won't provide Nic the details. We will pack all of Nic's favorite lunch items and take him to a local park for a feast built for a five year old!

Cost: Free (I already have the food on hand!


















Finally... probably my most favorite thing. Nic has been facinated by volcanos for like...forever (thank you, Backyardigans!). We are going to learn about volcanos... and then I am going to set it up for the husband and Nic to build their OWN.

Cost: Low (building and craft supplies)


So that's it... five things to do with my five year old! We are shooting to get all of the items done by end of month! And then it will be time to find five MORE things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)