7.30.2010

I am lost and confused...

In two weeks, my loverly daughter will be joining the ranks of middle-schoolers everywhere:
She will be in the sixth grade.

(okay, this isn't a current pic. this was when Nic was a few months old and Isa was 8).


Every single day with her, there is a new request:

Mom, can I wear lipstick?
Mom, can I cut my hair short?
Mom, can I get darker nail polish?
Mom, can I pierce my nose?
Mom, can I wear make-up?
Mom, just a little?

Bombarded with all these questions... I feel hopeless.
Perhaps I should find an article or a book that could help answer these questions for me...
When is the right time to allow Isa to start doing/wearing all of this stuff?

I pulled out my extremely worn out copy of What to Expect When You are Expecting... Hoping to gain a bit of insight.  I am a bit peeved. I think someone ripped out the chapters that specifically addressed these questions/scenarios. I am seriously missing Years 2-18! What the heck?!

Grr.

To be honest...I can answer the above questions okay enough.  In fact, we already let her cut her beautiful long hair into a sensational bob-ish 'do. She's adorable.

The real question I need help with related to SHAVING!

She wants to start now...
All her friends are doing it, she says.
To which my response is "If all your friends are jumping off of a cl....."
MOM!

Hmmm.

I know they have a great razor/shaver on the market right now that would probably be easy for her to use. The Intuition...?!

If we lived in Alaska, we might not be having this conversation (your and I, or heck, her and I for that matter).

But we live in Arizona... which means we live in shorts and flip flops for 9 months out of the year.

Any thoughts?
Do I give in?
Do we let her start this lifelong commitment?
Is 6th grade the right time?
Mom? Want to weigh in here?

Second question...
What should I make for dinner tonight?

3 comments:

  1. I made both of my girls wait until the week of 5th grade graduation.
    Pot roast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah! good to know...
    so by your standards, we are a few months late... =)

    i talked to the husband abt it - he was such a guy.

    i think we are going to make this happen...
    thanks for your input! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes (Sigh) I agree, Good Grooming habits are so important. And she is in Middle School. Please!!!! Just get her a good one,a really really good razor, I used my Dads Safety razor and cut the heck out of my legs. ouch bi g time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)