4.03.2011

I Spy

As I was chatting with my mom last night [hi, mom!] I realized I never shared a pic of my citrus trees. Shame on me. Here they be:


I guess they look more like twigs, eh? But... look at this picture below.


I cannot believe it. When I was out watering and digging and scaping the land yesterday, I didn't even see these little buggers. It wasn't until one of my son's friends came over and I was showing off the greenery that he pointed them out. [I think he was secretly hoping I'd offer to make him a mini-margarita. I don't sever alcohol to 15 year olds, good sir. You have to be at least 16 and a half. I kid, I kid.]


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So... I've been working a little bit on this room... Don't judge my metal diamond placements. Eventually there will be a very large mirror back there. And eventually I may realize the diamonds just don't work - and will have to move them. But for now - they show effort. And progress. And that makes me happy. I love them because they are supposed to be square - but I made an executive decision to make them diamonds. Because of the diamond shapes in my chairs. [deja vu - but at least I got a better picture this time!]



Goodwill shopping a few weeks back allowed me to score something pretty COOL!




It is, I believe, an old radio cabinet. I think. That's what I am calling it.

It's a lighter color than my table & chairs. But when I really look at the two, side by side, they do share some of the same tone. I just wasn't going for an all dark, all wood room. Remember, the other half of this room is the formal living room. Which we hope to make-over into a little library. And totally copy her design, here.


I plan on take some dark wood tones into the "library" in picture frames and books. And then I need to somehow bring some light, cream colors into the dining room to try and make this all work.


The cabinet does need some help. The insides were torn out and it has no back. Mr. is going to help me fix those problem areas and then we have to decide on if we are going to leave it alone, or paint it or stain it.








I originally thought I could paint it the color green that is in the curtains. I saw a REALLY cool example that I loved. And now I can't find it on the net, anywhere. Then I wondered if I should play with the indent, and paint that cream - and the rest green?!

Then I wondered if I should sand and stain the top, the beveled part of the doors and the bottom trim piece a nice mix of ebony and dark walnut.

Now I am wondering if I am out of my ever loving mind.


Do YOU have any thoughts on the subject?! [on the cabinet, not about me being out of my mind.]




I have plans to put a large framed picture above the cabinet... and maybe add a lamp... Give it a bit of height. The room will also, eventually be getting crown molding. So, weigh in. Let me know your ideas [so I can steal them, too].


Alex and Isa both had a friend spend the night - so I am off to get breakfast started. The line at Dunkin Donuts is sometimes long - need to get there early. =)


Have a fab Sunday, people!


P.S. WAIT - don't leave. I just thought of something. Do you think I should bring that light fixture [above the dining room table] down a bit? Is it too high?! Thanks! ;) I owe you one! Anytime you want some design advice... Well. Nevermind.

2 comments:

  1. The radio cabinet is beautiful! I am kind of jealous of your Goodwill finds. Our Goodwill stores never seem to have anything good. Just smelly stuff. :(

    P.S.
    I would lower the dining room light fixture a bit, yeah. OK, *I* wouldn't do it, but I would tell my husband to lower it, and then I would nag about it for about two years, and then I would eventually throw a little fit about how nothing ever gets done unless I do it... Oh wait, no, I'm thinking of all the heavy picture frames in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES on bringing down the light...you'll be happy you did.
    I love the cabinet, and I kinda think maybe painting it a cream color??? Maybe even distressed??? But what do I know...I never find good stuff like that. I suppose I should start looking.
    LOVE all your greenery in the last post and jealous of your citrus trees...we lost all our fruity trees in the winter freezes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)