7.04.2011

Independence Day - 2011

Or otherwise known as my favorite holiday ever.
Even if there isn't any gift giving.

In the many years since we moved to Arizona, back to our extended family, we've always celebrated the 4th of July in one of two ways; 1) At a local park & fireworks show or 2) At my Aunt Anita's house & pool.  This year, I had the honor of hosting my peeps at my house.
Joy!


The husband, kids and I cleaned up and decorated a bit - gearing for our 4th (er, 2nd) of July party!
I realized I don't have enough 4th of July decorations on hand.
Maybe I need to remedy that. I am sure the HobLob has some sales going on tomorrow. =)

We made do with what we had.

Here's a pic of my "mantel." I realize it's not a REAL mantel.
But I think I will use it as a place to dress-up for each of the holidays & seasons.
It may look different from last time. Or the time before that.
I like it this way, much better.


Here it is again - this time with more treats on it!



Like my licorice bouquet?! Name that movie.
And darn it - I think I ate 94% of those Hot Tamales.
And every.single.time I got a really HOT one, I told myself I wouldn't eat anymore.
The bowl is empty.
:(


On the menu?!
Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, potato salad, jalapeno coleslaw, chips and dips and dips and chips, and a green salad. Now, I will note that the salad bowl hardly had a dent in it. My peeps need to eat more greens. Oh well, the man I said "I Do" to and I had leftovers last night for dinner. We love us some ensalada.


Besides all of that food, we had an array of canned soda, water and bottles of crush.


My cousin also brought a few bottles of wine.
We don't drink - and I do not have a wine bottle opener.
Fail.
She's a clever one though - and she got the darn bottles open.
I do have some wine glasses in the house, she found those okay!
No need to guzzle and pass for those that opted to partake.
=)
By the way, someone needs to gift me a wine bottle opener.

Some more decor:



Finally - firecrackers.
You see, Arizona has had some HORRIBLE wild fires going on in the state as of late.
Our unincorporated county island decided to ban fireworks this year (our first 4th since the state law changed to allow them in the first place). We were bummed. But, since we already had a small pack of small-ish fireworks, we decided the kids could light a few.
The little ones loved the sprinklers.
I know. Sparklers.
But I couldn't get it right.
I took a few pics, but none really turned out. I am hoping the ones my cousin took look better -
and that he feels like sharing.



What I don't have pictures of is the pool time or the lovely desserts that followed.
People will probably thank me for that! ;)

All in all - the last of our guests left around midnight.
Isabel had a friend stay the night - we were all sooo exhausted, I am sure she was bored out of her mind!
Marcos and I didn't even wake up until 11:30 yesterday. Crazy.

What's crazier is the aftermath.



.... that's still waiting for me today.
I didn't lift one finger yesterday... unless it was to change the channel on the remote.
Thank gosh for leftovers and half grown children.


And thank gosh for our beautiful country, our rights, our freedom and for those that serve and protect it all!

Hope you have a beautiful day today!

1 comment:

  1. Your fourth (or second) of July looks fabulous. I just realized I did not get one decoration out...since we just got home on the 3rd!
    Bravo for your cuz getting the wine open....I would have hit up the neighbors for one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)