7.06.2011

What's a Haboob?!

Such a fancy (albeit weird) name for a dust storm. In my last post, I mentioned that Monsoon Season was just about here.

Yesterday - it arrived.




This one above is near me.
The one below is near my parents.







And then in some areas of the valley - the rains came. We didn't see one drop here, but it's early yet!


The wind knocked down the canopies at the park across the street and added a HUGE layer of dust to everything, but other than that, not much damage to report from my locale.

Here is a link to some video shot by Channel 12 News:


People are saying this is the craziest dust storm they've ever seen in Arizona. The thing was 30 miles wide and swept over the entire east valley. I am not sure where it started, but my parents dealt with it - and we dealt with it. We live about 40 miles from them.

They are A and I am B:


If you were looking down at a map, Phoenix would be in the very upper, left-hand corner.

Just crazy.
Makes me wonder if this is going to be a Monsoon Season to remember...

P.S. All pictures have been borrowed from AZCentral.com - where they were uploaded to Facebook by local residents. And the map was from Google maps.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh; yes, a freak of nature. So glad there was no major damage. It makes me wonder how people with asthma/lung issues deal with this?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)