3.22.2012

Never Assume [Spring Fever Diaries #4]


As a mother to 328 kids {okay. not true, but it sure does feel that way sometimes}, I have learned to never assume they know anything or everything. I am not saying that to be mean... Of course not; I love my kiddos.

I am, however, saying it because if I tell one of the kids to set the dinner table, halfway through the meal, we realize Nic doesn't have a drink and not one of us has napkins.

In the more recent years, I've always assumed that the kids KNEW what was expected out of them, thus very few chore lists were ever distributed. I do not recommend this approach. Clutter, chaos and dust will ensue. Scout's honor.

Because we are focusing heavily on our Spring Cleaning around here, I've decided to go ahead and create a Chore Chart {of sorts} that should be pretty easy to understand. I looked at the things that needed to be done once a day or two times a week. I looked at what I could do vs. what the kids could take on. I even realized that Nic is old enough to have his own responsibilities.

Here are the things I decided on:
  • Guest Bathroom
  • Kid's Bathroom
  • Declutter Downstairs
  • Garage and Recycle Duty
  • Set Table
  • Clear Table
  • Dust Stairs
  • Dust Downstairs

Now, there ARE things around the house that still need to be done, but I've decided to take them on myself (like watering the plants and trees that are not yet hooked up to our watering system, feeding the dogs in the morning, vacuuming, and doing the dishes). And there are things that we will do every two weeks (like pulling weeds, giving the dogs their baths and sweeping the front porch and back patio). This will also help the keeps manage their time so that they can FOCUS on their schoolwork.

The above eight chores will help keep the house clean, free of clutter, and will allow for people to step inside my home. If the kids complete them and do so correctly, I will be one happy momma.

And since I want to be one happy momma, I made it easy for them. Now remember, while I *am* at home all day long, I do work full time. Some days, I can easily work a straight 10 hours. I have job that requires me to listen in on meetings, manage projects, write communications, etc. I also have Nic home with me. I juggle... a lot. But thankfully, God gave me 3 capable teenagers and one handsome five year old to help me out a little.

Here's how it works. On Sunday, the kids will blindly pick from one of the 8 tasks. I created cards, with SPECIFIC instructions on them. For example, for Set Table, they must remember to:
  • Wipe down the table
  • Use clean placemats
  • Use 6 clean bowls or plates (depending on the meal)
  • Place out necessary utensils
  • Ensure everyone has a cup and a drink
  • Ensure everyone has a napkin
  • Ensure salt, pepper and condiments are on the table

The kids are all home by 3pm. This particular task of setting the table must be completed by 5pm. Even if I don't serve dinner until 6 or 7 (egads), at least the table will be set and ready to go. The kids will know how to set the table based off of our menu plan (more on that later in the week).

Now that I had the specific tasks, I had to come up with a way to turn them into a Chore Chart {of sorts}. Here are the supplies I used.  I LOVE Scotch's self laminating sheets!  There's also a ruler, scissors and the tasks I made using Picasa (of course, they can be made in Photoshop, but I already had the template loaded into Picasa, I just had to change the wording and then print).


Another must have?! A large sweet tea. Yummy!!


You know... for energy.

The laminating sheets are so easy to use.... See!!:



You may notice that on the specifics of Trash & Recycle, I don't mention bringing the bins IN. That's because I am going to take on that task. Well, Nic and I. That way, we have an excuse to get outside a few times a day (you know, between meetings and stuff).

After printing, laminating and cutting... here is the end result of the task cards.
Doesn't TASK sound better than CHORE?!


Tomorrow I will post part two, showing you where I have the cards set up so the kids can grab them to take them along on their task. Something that can't easily be lost or destroyed, and something the kids can refer back to should they suddenly forget what they are supposed to be doing in the guest bath.

Those silly kids.

Hey. You can click here to see the other posts related to the Spring Fever Diaries...


6 comments:

  1. These are GREAT! I have an autistic sister who seems to remember only what SHE wants to remember and she loves routine. These would be a great help to keep her on track! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NP! I am glad they inspired! Super easy to make; the hard part, of course is getting them to follow. Baby steps! lol... ;)

      Delete
  2. I love these! I cannot wait until I have kids old enough to do chores! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best ever. lol... Except sometimes my OCD kicks in, and I just want to do it myself. But then I am too busy... well, you can figure out the cycle of that! lol.

      Delete
  3. Those are great! I have a friend that I think would love them, going to share your blog with her!
    Amy @ http://yellowhouseon3rd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this task list idea! I've been wanting to have more child interaction here for cleaning and weekly responsibilities [who am I kidding, to have them do a chore is a whole new ball game round here] I've given them a few to do to get started but silly me wants to have a system in place... a pretty system in place for them to go see what is expected of them. I love your ideas here! New follower from tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com Stop by and say Hi sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit YMT. If your email address is included in your profile, you betcher bottom dollar I will respond. And now... I can even reply here, right in the comments section. Go on, leave a comment. :)